Everyone hates slow internet connections, and there is no doubt about it. And as most of us are working from home because of the global pandemic, we expect to enjoy a stable and high speed internet connection. But what if you are only getting slow hotspot speed out of your Android device? So the question is how to increase mobile hotspot speed on android?
Well, luckily, there are certain things that you can try out to increase the mobile hotspot speed of your Android device. And in this article, I am going to share some methods that will help you to make mobile hotspots faster.
Why use a mobile hotspot?
There are a wide range of reasons why you might want to use a mobile hotspot. Maybe you don’t want to use public wifi. Instead, you want to use your secure internet connection while banking, working with business documents, confidential emails, and secure PDFs.
Also, there are a few other reasons like:
- Using a mobile hotspot is much cheaper than wifi. This will help you to save phone bills.
- With your mobile hotspot, you can connect to multiple devices and set up a remote, makeshift office.
- You can charge mobile internet bills as a business expense to your company if you are using it for work.
- Mobile hotspot comes in handy when wifi doesn’t work.
Why is my hotspot slow?
There are lots of reasons why you might be facing slow hotspot speed. Maybe because your internet is going through bad reception. Or you might have surpassed your data plan.
Another common reason why you might experience slow internet is based on how you have configured your device.
Also, the broadcast setting on your phone leaves an effect on your connection and speed. There are two main broadcast frequencies your Android phone has: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
The 2.4Ghz frequency is usually ideal for connections from a relatively far distance from your router. This helps you to get a better range at longer distances. But you will get slower speed and have the vulnerability to interference from other devices.
On the other hand, there is the 5.0 GHz frequency. This works best for short distances. As a result, it will make mobile hotspot faster and you will enjoy a faster connection speed when your device is closer to your smartphone.
How are 2.4GHz Wi-Fi and 5GHz Wi-Fi different?
Wifi has two frequencies – 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. And both of these frequencies offer different speeds and coverage.
On one side, the 2.4Ghz wifi band offers better coverage from your mobile hotspot. But it reduces the speed of your internet. Also, when you are using 2.4Ghz, you are more likely to face interruptions compared to the 5Ghz band.
While on the other hand, the 5Ghz band is an ideal choice when you want an increased wifi speed. However, it is only good for short range. As it is not capable of covering a wide range of areas.
Also, most of the devices are capable of connecting to both of the wifi bands. But some older devices only recognize the 2.4Ghz frequency. As a result, your smartphone has 2.4Ghz as the default frequency.
However, as we are talking about using your smartphone as a mobile hotspot, we can expect that other devices also want faster internet access. As a result, it is more sensible to use 5Ghz instead of 2.4Ghz for better speed.
And below, I have shared some guides that will help you to switch to the 5Ghz band from 2.4Ghz on your Android smartphone.
How to increase Wi-Fi hotspot speed on Samsung?
If you are using a Samsung phone and wondering how to make hostpot faster in Android, then you should switch the wifi hotspot band to 5Ghz from 2.4Ghz to enjoy increased internet speed on your Samsung device. To do this, you can follow these below steps:
- First, go to settings.
- Then tap on connections and go to Mobile Hotspot and Tethering.
- Next, you have to select Mobile Hotspot from the following screen. And then tap on the three dots icon in the upper right hand corner.
- Next, tap on Configure Mobile Hotspot and then scroll down and select Show Advanced options.
- Over here, select Use 5GHz Band when available.
That’s it. Once you are done, you should see an increased internet speed on your Samsung device.
How to increase wifi hotspot speed on OnePlus?
In case you are using a OnePlus smartphone, then it has a different approach to increase mobile hotspot speed. And for this, you will need to follow the below steps:
- First of all, go to settings.
- Then tap on WiFi and Internet.
- After that, select Hotspot & Tethering and then select WiFi hotspot.
- Next, under the AP band switch from 2.4GHz Band to 5GHz Band.
- Lastly, check if the above steps have helped you to enjoy an increased internet speed or not.
How to increase Wi-Fi hotspot speed on Redmi?
If you have a Xiaomi or Redmi device. Then you can follow the below steps to configure your device:
- First, go to settings.
- After that, select Connection & Sharing.
- Then go to the Portable Hotspot.
- Next, select set up a portable hotspot.
- Then under the AP band switch, you have to select the 5GHz band from 2.4GHz.
How to increase Wi-Fi hotspot speed on Realme/ OPPO?
For Realme and OPPO, the steps are pretty much the same. And you can follow these below steps to increase mobile hotspot speed:
- Launch your device settings.
- Then go to Personal Hotspot and select Personal Hotspot Settings.
- After that, switch from 2.4Ghz Band to 5Ghz Band from the AP settings.
How to increase Wi-Fi hotspot speed on Vivo?
Vivo phones also have similar steps as the Reame and OPPO devices. And you can follow the below steps to configure your Vivo smartphone:
- First of all, go to Settings.
- Then go to Personal Hotspot and tap on Hotspot configuration.
- Next, you will need to set AP to 5Ghz. It will be set as 2.4Ghz as default, so you have to change that.
How to increase Wi-Fi hotspot speed on Pixel?
In case you are using Pixel or an Android device with stock Android. Then you will need to follow the below steps to increase mobile hotspot speed:
- First, go to settings.
- After that, go to the Network and Internet.
- Next, tap on Hotspot and Tethering.
- Then go to Advanced and look for an AP band.
- Finally, change the frequency to 5Ghz and you should be able to enjoy faster internet speed on your smartphone.
Apart from switching to the 5Ghz band, you can also try some other hacks. For instance:
1. You should limit your internet usage on your laptop. For instance, Windows tends to update in the background when connected to a wifi network. So do check if Windows is running any background update or not. If it is running a background update, then do disable it.
2. You can also talk to your SIM provider customer support to seek help on how you can improve your internet speed.
3. Tweak the DNS settings by switching to a faster DNS address by going to your smartphone settings.
So that was the answer to your how to increase mobile hotspot speed on android. By following the above methods, you will be able to increase the speed of the wifi Hotspot by changing the wifi band to 5GHz in all types of Android phones. So go ahead and make changes to your Android device and see if the change is any help to you or not. Furthermore, if you have anything to ask, then do not hesitate to comment below, and I will be sure to answer your question. Let me know what is your idea to increase mobile hotspot speed on android.